I have about 6-7 weeks (or 44ish days) before I give birth to our third son. Being the planner that I am I always have a constant running list of things I need to do before and after this new guy arrives. As much as I try to sit and just enjoy these last few weeks with just two boys it is not me to just push my self-made list aside. Every women is different but I wanted to share with all of you the ways I am preparing for our new baby. My hope is that by tackling some of these things will help alleviate any stress or problems in the future. I have learned how quickly life can change when you add new things onto your plate so each day I am trying to do little tasks to help accomplish all of these goals.
Ways I am Preparing for our New Baby
- Clean out all the drawers in all of our bedrooms of clothes we do not wear or need.
- Go through all of the boys toy bins to throw out broken toys, donate toys we do not use, and organize all of the tiny pieces of legos and parts we have.
- Clean out our SUV of the loads of goldfish, sippy cups, and tissues that have accumulated over the year.
- Set up a house cleaner to come clean for two months after baby is born. I am thinking I will have her come every 2 weeks to do a big clean and then my mom and I will keep up with the everyday stuff.
- Organize a drawer of postpartum care for myself. I am putting together a drawer of all of my nursing friendly tanks, comfy pants, and then a separate drawer full of bathroom needs (witch hazel, pads, spray, cream, etc.).
- Make a list of our favorite take-out and restaurants that I can use Uber Eats for. Our neighborhood sadly does not get delivery for Amazon Fresh or any grocery delivery but I know Uber Eats will come here so on the days where lunch is far from my mind or I can't find anything for dinner I can easily give Nick a name of a place we like to eat and he can order food for us.
- Make a drawer in the kitchen and in the fridge where I can prepare the boys easily accessible snacks and breakfasts choices.
- Write up the boys schedule and contact a few friends for when I go into labor. My mom will watch Calvin and Max when I am giving birth and then will come to the hospital right after baby is born so I want to make sure that there is no confusion on what the boys need while I am away. I am also getting our spare car seats ready in case they need to go somewhere with my mom or a friend (think insurance info, doctors numbers, sleep routine, foods they like, etc.).
- Pack hospital bags for Nick and myself. This is actually the tasks I am most excited about and will probably wait until I am 36 weeks to do. I have always loved getting everything ready for our hospital stay just because it puts everything into perspective for me.
This list might seem long but it honestly helps me so much to have a plan of action and it makes the time I have left to wait not seem so long. I know that it will take a lot of practice for me to learn to let some things go and to just relax once the baby comes but knowing I completed this list will help give me some peace of mind. I would love to hear what you do to prepare for your new baby.